Back-to-School time is here and our schedules have just kicked into gear here in Kentucky. Nutritious food choices are more important than ever as our kids return to the classroom and as we adults try to keep it all together as well. While we all have the best of intentions, having a plan and some time-saving strategies is the only way to follow through consistently.
I’ll share my list with you if you share yours with me. Our girls never developed a cereal habit at breakfast. I failed them (or myself) miserably with that one! While I have never allowed alternatives to the dinner I serve, breakfast has always seemed to involve indecision and choice. Over the years, I have tried to clean up my choices keeping the “granola bar on the way out the door” breakfast to a minimum.
Quick Nutritious Breakfast Choices
1. Greek Yogurt with Blueberries and Granola
2. French Toast
3. Oatmeal with Apples and Walnuts
4. Cinnamon Toast, Peanut Butter Toast or Cheese Toast
5. High-Fiber Cereal with Almond Milk
6. Muffins or Sweet Breads (Banana, Amish Friendship)
7. Bagel with Cream Cheese
8. Eggs & Toast
9. Banana with Vanilla Greek Yogurt topped with Mini-Chocolate Chips and Walnuts
10. Bacon, Egg & Cheese Sandwich on Whole Wheat Toast
Do you find yourself constantly resolving to stop eating out for lunch? The boredom of the “sandwich every day” lunch is a killer of our best intentions if you ask me. That said, the sandwich is the obvious first choice. We just have to have some easy options to mix it up a bit.
1. Ham or Turkey Sandwich
2. Turkey Wrap
3. Tuna or Chicken Salad
4. Grilled Chicken Salad – Plan ahead by grilling extra chicken for dinner to have “planned overs” for lunches.
5. Soup in Thermos (Canned or Homemade Soups)
6. Pasta in Thermos – Think bite-sized pasta with marinara or other sauces you have on hand.
7. Quesadilla – Chicken, Cheese, or Pizza Quesadillas keep well when wrapped in foil in the lunchbox with the dippers in an insulated container (sour cream, salsa, or even marinara sauce)
8. PB&J – Okay, we all have those days!
9. Peanut Butter Dippers – Ritz Crackers, Celery, Apple Slices
10. Cottage Cheese and Fresh Pineapple
1. Fruit Smoothie – Peel and freeze bananas and other fruits in freezer bags to have ingredients at the ready.
2. Cheesy Ranch Chex Mix
3. Cheez-Its or other favorite snack crackers
4. Piemento Cheese and Crackers
5. Grapes, Apples, Bananas, Peaches, Strawberries, Melon
6. Carrots & Ranch
7. Granola Bars
9. Peanut Butter or Cheese and Crackers
10.Hummus & Pretzel Crisps
Your turn to share! Help me out, we need some new choices in our lives.